CAR SHIPPING TO AUSTRALIA – GUIDE TO SHIPPING
CALL US ON 01525 851545 IF YOU NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION
A car is shipped on it’s own in a sealed 20’ Container from the private warehouse near Barking / East London. Ships normally sail every week taking 5–7 weeks in transit to Fremantle (Perth), Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. It can take a further 2 to 4 weeks before a car is ready to be registered to be used on the road in Australia.
A booking is made by completing our shipment booking form and can be made up to 3 months or as little as 1 week before shipment.
The personal import requirements are normally that Australian residency or nationality is required with only 1 car per person allowed every 5 years and the vehicle must have been owned and used in the UK for a minimum period of 12 months unless the vehicle is older than 1989.
Personal import approval is required by sending an application form to a government department (DIT) in Canberra with scanned copies of the car and personal papers and takes 4–6 weeks to obtain. Although the approval is only required at the Australian port it should be obtained before shipment of the vehicle from the UK.
The costs due in the UK are for shipping and marine insurance payable before the day of sailing by UK cheque or bank transfer. In Australia costs are payable for port fees and container unpacking, customs fees and clearance, quarantine inspection and possibly cleaning, road safety preparation and a roadworthy test, as well as annual registration and possibly stamp duty and driving insurance.
Australian import taxes on most cars are 5% duty and 10% GST. Duty is paid on the customs value and GST is paid on the total of the customs value + duty + cost of shipment. Usually the customs value is based on the Australian ‘as landed’ value which can be as low as half of the actual Australian market value.
Items packed inside a car travel free of charge. A list of goods is required at destination and these would be customs cleared separately from the vehicle.
A guide to the costs would be £1,350–1,400 shipping, £100–300 marine insurance, A$4000–5,000 in Australia excluding taxes, registration and insurance.
- Read our website and contact us for a written quotation
- Decide to ship a car
- Apply to Canberra for a personal import approval
- Receive the import approval from Canberra
- Send us a completed shipment booking form
- We arrange the export booking and our costs are settled
- The car is handed to us and we ship it to Australia
- We email the shipping papers to you after the ship has sailed
- The shipping papers are put together with the import approval and all your car papers for the authorities when the car arrives
- An agent can assist with the importation at destination
- Obtain a valuation when the car arrives
- Pay the import taxes
- The car is collected and then made roadworthy and registered.
Further information, including a guide to prices and useful website and contact addresses, can be found in the Australia Info Pack (PDF).